Re: ./configure does not recognize umfpack library.

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: ./configure does not recognize umfpack library.
Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 20:26:32 -0500

Dmitri A. Sergatskov wrote:

address@hidden octave-2.9.2]$ nm liboctave.so.2.9.2 | grep -i umfpack
007a12b0 T umfpack_di_defaults

Yes, I think Dmitri is right. I just remembered that GLPK also does not come as a dynamic library. When I tried compiling octave with GLPK, it just statically compiles GLPK into liboctave as demonstrated here with UMFPACK. I seem to remember that the resulting binary was a big step up in size compared to the previous version, which would be expected.

While we're on this topic, I thought I'd mention that I did a little research on GLPK because I intend to package it for Fedora Extras (eventually). According to the mailing lists, it was claimed at one time that GLPK was only a static library because the code was not reentrant. I think I recall that that is supposedly no longer true of recent versions. However, the maintainer never changed the makefiles to add a shared library. I asked about the possibility about a month ago on the GLPK mailing list and never received a response. It unfortunate that some software projects don't have maintainers as resposive as octave does :).

So, if anyone is interested in hacking the GLPK makefiles to generate a shared library, I would be very interested in the result.

-Quentin