Octave for windows using QEMU

From: Michael Creel
Subject: Octave for windows using QEMU
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 11:23:51 +0200

Under the category of amazing but not quite useful tricks...

I just placed a special version of the Knoppix CD in the tray of a computer
running windows. The CD autoruns, and starts up Knoppix running in a QEMU
window. Networking works automatically, using NAT - no configuration at all
is needed. Next, since the Knoppix CD uses unionfs, software can be added on
the fly using apt-get, no remastering needed. I opened up a konsole, did
apt-get update; apt-get install octave, and quite a bit of time later had a
working installation of Octave. This is the Debian Linux binary version of
Octave, running on Windows, with no VMware or anything else, just a CD.

The catch is that this is all vvveerrryyy sssllooowww. Nevertheless, it's an
interesting proof of concept. One could use QEMU to run just octave, and not
the entire Knoppix CD, KDE environment included. Perhaps that would be
faster. Also, the computer I tried this on has only 512MB of RAM.

If anyone would like to try this out, there's a torrent of the CD at
http://www.linuxtracker.org/download.php?id=278&name=KNOPPIX_V3.8.2-2005-05-05-EN-qemu-0.6.1-2.iso.torrent

If the torrent is too slow, I can put up an image on a server if there is any
interest. This is definitely too slow to be of real use, but maybe if there
is more support for QEMU it might get faster.

Cheers, Michael