Re: image.m and scaling

From: avraham
Subject: Re: image.m and scaling
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2005 06:49:25 +0300

On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 05:59:28PM -0400, Brian Blais wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering what others thought of the following observation.  When
> I do an image command, or an imagesc command, the resulting image is
> increased in size (IMHO, good) and smoothed (IMHO, bad).  Usually when I
> am looking at a small matrix, I am looking at data and would like to see
> an honest representation of those data points, more similar to matlab's
> image command.  If one changes one word in image.m from:
>
> im_display = sprintf ("display -geometry %f%% \"%s\"", zoom*100, ppm_name);
>
> to:
>
> im_display = sprintf ("display -sample %f%% \"%s\"", zoom*100, ppm_name);
>
> using the -sample option, then you get the same increase in size, which
> is good for visibility, and the image is not smoothed.  Try it with:
>
> imagesc(rand(20));
>
> and you'll see the difference.  Is this something that others would
> like, or is the present behavior there for some reason?
>

>                       thanks,
>
>                               Brian Blais
>

> --
> -----------------
>
>             address@hidden
>             http://web.bryant.edu/~bblais

Good Morning,
Thanks for the note. I never noticed that before, maybe because I
usually work with large arrays and only seldom used the zoom
argument. I fully agree with you: The default should be the
faithful representation of the data. If anyone wishes to smooth
the image, let them do it on their own, in precisely defined
conditions.
Cheers, Avraham