problems with 2.1.71 and Octave-Forge

From: Robert Kirchner
Subject: problems with 2.1.71 and Octave-Forge
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 11:10:35 -0600

Since updating from Octave 2.1.64 to 2.1.71-1, with Octave-Forge 2004.11.16-5 (Fink distribution, built on Mac OS 10.3), I've been experiencing a number of problems. Here are a couple of symptoms.

octave:1> help sin
sh: line 1: sed: command not found
sin is a built-in function

Additional help for built-in functions, operators, and variables
is available in the on-line version of the manual.  Use the command
`help -i <topic>' to search the manual index.

Help and information about Octave is also available on the WWW
at http://www.octave.org and via the address@hidden
mailing list.
octave:2> help sparse
sh: line 1: sed: command not found
sparse is the dynamically-linked function from the file
/sw/lib/octave/2.1.71/site/oct/powerpc-apple-darwin/octave-forge/ sparse.oct

Additional help for built-in functions, operators, and variables
is available in the on-line version of the manual.  Use the command
`help -i <topic>' to search the manual index.

Help and information about Octave is also available on the WWW
at http://www.octave.org and via the address@hidden
mailing list.

That is, using the 'help' command, all I get is a statement of whether the function is built-in or user-defined, and if the latter, where the function file is, but no actual help text. Also, when using Octave-Forge's 'wavread' function, I get the following error:

octave:3> [x,sr]=wavread('~/Desktop/exe2.wav')
warning: in fopen near line 13, column 5:
warning: fopen: default open mode is now binary
error: fread: invalid stream number = -1
error: evaluating assignment expression near line 14, column 4
error: called from `wavread' in file `/sw/share/octave/2.1.71/site/m/octave-forge/audio/wavread.m'

Does anybody have a clue what's causing this?

Dr. Robert Kirchner, Linguistics Dept.
4-20 Assiniboia Hall, U. Alberta
Edmonton, AB T6G2E7
(780) 492-3480 (fax 492-0806)