Re: Installing octave & octave-forge on Mac OS X 10.4.x - A No-Fuss Guid

From: Marius Schamschula
Subject: Re: Installing octave & octave-forge on Mac OS X 10.4.x - A No-Fuss Guide REVISED
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 18:23:43 -0500

Henry,

is /usr/local/bin in your path?

On Jun 29, 2005, at 4:54 PM, Henry F. Mollet wrote:

Octave installation after installation of Xcode Tools seemed to succeed. But no luck running octave after adding .octaverc with LOADPATH and EXEC-PATH as specified. What is missing?
Henry

Installation complete.

To use, add the following to .octaverc:
LOADPATH = [ '/usr/local/libexec/octave/2.1.71/site/oct/powerpc-apple-darwin8.1.0/ octave-forge:/usr/local/share/octave/2.1.71/site/m/octave-forge//:', LOADPATH ]; EXEC_PATH = [ '/usr/local/libexec/octave/2.1.71/site/exec/powerpc-apple- darwin8.1.0:', EXEC_PATH ];

To uninstall, remove the following:
   MPATH    = /usr/local/share/octave/2.1.71/site/m/octave-forge
OPATH = /usr/local/libexec/octave/2.1.71/site/oct/powerpc-apple-darwin8.1.0/ octave-forge XPATH = /usr/local/libexec/octave/2.1.71/site/exec/powerpc-apple-darwin8.1.0 ALTMPATH = /usr/local/share/octave/2.1.71/site/octave-forge-alternatives/m ALTOPATH = /usr/local/libexec/octave/2.1.71/site/octave-forge-alternatives/oct/ powerpc-apple-darwin8.1.0

Some FIXES may be out of date.  Check the scripts in:
   /usr/local/share/octave/2.1.71/site/m/octave-forge/FIXES
/usr/local/libexec/octave/2.1.71/site/oct/powerpc-apple-darwin8.1.0/ octave-forge
against those in your version of Octave.
henry-f-mollets-emac:/tmp/octave-forge-2005.06.13 hfm$ cd
henry-f-mollets-emac:~ hfm$ octave
-bash: octave: command not found

$$Added .ovtaverc and restarted terminal.

Last login: Wed Jun 29 08:50:20 on ttyp1
Welcome to Darwin!
henry-f-mollets-emac:~ hfm$ octave
-bash: octave: command not found
henry-f-mollets-emac:~ hfm$ ls -a
.                       .bash_history           Movies
..                      .octaverc               Music
.CFUserTextEncoding     Desktop                 Pictures
.DS_Store               Documents               Public
.Trash                  Library                 Sites
henry-f-mollets-emac:~ hfm$ cat .octaverc
LOADPATH = [ '/usr/local/libexec/octave/2.1.71/site/oct/powerpc-apple-darwin8.1.0/ octave-forge:/usr/local/share/octave/2.1.71/site/m/octave-forge//:', LOADPATH ]; EXEC_PATH = [ '/usr/local/libexec/octave/2.1.71/site/exec/powerpc-apple- darwin8.1.0:', EXEC_PATH ];

henry-f-mollets-emac:~ hfm$