Re: finding .m files using 'locate'

From: Michael W. Martin
Subject: Re: finding .m files using 'locate'
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 15:25:56 -0500

On Jul 15, 2005, at 1:41 PM, Mike Miller wrote:

Most new unix systems, especially GNU/Linux systems have the 'locate' command. Here is a way to get a list of every directory that contains at least one file with the .m extension:

OSX/Tiger has locate also. However, for locate be useful, the database in /var/db/locate.database must be up-to-date. This is true of all Unix systems. Normally the database is created/updated by the system in the wee hours of the morning (at least on Tiger). If you leave you computer off at night, as most folks do, it will not create it. I schedule my Mac to come on at 7:00am and then periodic is told to run at 7:15am to update things. That aside, in a pinch one can run "sudo periodic weekly" in the terminal window to create the locate database. Keep in mind that locate is only as good as its database.

As to Spotlight not finding anything in /usr. That is by design. Spotlight is designed to find a user's **own documents**, not something buried in the system. For the most part system stuff should be left alone. Past versions of OSX had the same behavior (Sherlock, for example), so this is not a something new in Spotlight/Tiger. Now Spotlight will find all of the .m files in the fink installation, which is where my files are, since fink is not viewed as a system directory.

But to solve the original problem, for a fast way to find all .m files in a directory, try:

        find . -name \*.m -print

The \*.m can be replaced to find just about anything.

Michael W. Martin                   Phone: (281) 333-2177
Draper Laboratory                   FAX:   (281) 333-5276
2200 Space Park Dr.                 EMail: address@hidden
Houston, TX 77058                   WWW: http://www.jsc.draper.com/
USA                                 Mail Code: EG/Draper