Re: Bug in octave packages for FC4?

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: Bug in octave packages for FC4?
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 11:45:16 -0500

Marcus Vinicius Eiffle Duarte wrote:

Hello, folks!

I am not quite sure if this is the right place to ask, so forgive me
in case it is not.

I am running Fedora Core 4 on a Pentium 4 2.4GHz with 2 Gb RAM. Today
(2005-08-04) I upgraded Octave and Octave-devel via "yum update". The
packages now installed are octave-2.1.71-14.fc4.i386.rpm and
octave-devel-2.1.71-14.fc4.i386.rpm from the "extras" repository. The
octave-forge was not upgraded, being version 2005-06-13, release
06.fc4.

After I upgraded, I keep getting panic segmentation folks when running
simple commands, as "help" or "plot(linspace(1,10))". Simple
instructions as "x=1" do not yield errors, but I can't run any of my
scripts.

Has anyone using FC4 found the same behavior? Does anyone know how to
contact the package maintainer?
I'm the package maintainer, and yes, I got the problem too. The problem appears to be with octave-forge--removing it makes octave run properly. If you need a short-term fix, try that. The new version of octave was the first build of octave that includes support for HDF5, which is now in Extras. It appears that the problem is that I should have rebuilt octave-forge as well, but I didn't. It is building right now, and I'll send a link to the new package to this list as soon as it's complete.

-Quentin