Re: doubt in char

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: doubt in char
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 09:07:18 -0500

Robert A. Macy wrote:

Jorge Barros de Abreu <address@hidden> wrote:
Where do I get char.m file??
Should have come with the install.

Actually, this is kind of strange. "help char" says char is a built-in function (version 2.1.71). On the other hand, there is a char.m as you pointed out, which is part of octave-forge. Since built-in functions take precedence over other functions, I don't think the char.m file is ever actually used. The apparently truncated help text that Jorge was referring to appears to actually be in the octave source code in src/strfns.cc. As far as I can tell, it looks like char.m can be removed from octave-forge because it was probably put there before char became a builtin function.

For future reference, if you want to find the location of a system file, try the "which" command: "which char.m" tells you eactly where it is.

-Quentin