Re: A "cycle" command for octave ?

From: Andrass Ziska Davidsen
Subject: Re: A "cycle" command for octave ?
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 17:32:15 +0200

On Tue, 2005-09-13 at 11:10 -0400, Madhusudan Singh wrote:
> Hi
>
> I know that Matlab does not seem to offer this functionality, but I was
> wondering if a future version of octave could include the equivalent of a
> Fortran 95 cycle command ?
>
> Basically what it does is go to the next iteration in a for or a while loop :

I believe you want the 'continue' statement. See `help -i continue` at
your Octave prompt.

> Fortran 95 :
>
> do i = 1,10
> if (f(a,i).eq.0.0) cycle
> enddo
>
> where f is a function and a is any argument.
>
> I know it is possible to replicate this functionality by using an if-else
> block, but that sphaggetizes the code if the loop is very long and
> complicated.

You could also negate your if and enclose all of the loop's innards in
that if block.

Something like:

for i = 1:10
  if (f(a,i)~=0.0)
  endif
endfor

(Sorry, I don't know the corresponding Fortran syntax.)

--
Andrass Ziska Davidsen
M.Sc. Offshore Construction