Re: Colors in plots and legend position

From: Timothee Lecomte
Subject: Re: Colors in plots and legend position
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 06:35:44 -0500

Hi all !

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005, Bill Denney wrote:

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005, Joe Koski wrote:

 A while back Per Persson, the developer of AquaTerm (an X11 alternative
 for Macs), offered to help me install gnuplot-4.1 (from CVS) on my Mac. I
 never took him up on that offer.

I'm personally hoping for one of the (many) octave visualization projects to take off so that we no longer depend on gnuplot for the easy to use (read built-in) plotting functions. One thing that I'd somewhat like to have is a consolidated reference for all the plotting systems that are being developed (...)

These visualization projects are interesting, in particular as far as octaviz is concerned since vtk is a very powerful software. However, I don't think we should abandon gnuplot totally. It has a large user base, can really do a lot of things and is highly portable. Its developpers' team is really active (see the changelog in the cvs [www.gnuplot.info] to be convinced) and is working on interesting features. One of the last feature that was
lacking is custom colors, and it is now implemented in cvs, as John W. Eaton
said in an earlier mail.

Personnally, I'm working on a new interactive terminal for gnuplot, based on the wxwidgets toolkit. It aims at being totally cross-platform and more user-friendly (font anti-aliasing, toolbar for interactive action on the plot, menus to access quickly to different settings). I received good support and help from the current developping team.

On the other hand, I'm totally in favor of an abstraction layer between octave and the program used to plot. But, if I remember well, it has already been discussed and is a work-in-progress.

On a somewhat related note, are there any implementations of SVG graphics for octave?

Of course, thanks to gnuplot ! You just have to choose the svg terminal, with the command "set terminal svg". You can send this command with __gnuplot_set__. Then, it's up to you to open the plot in inkscape for example to add details on the plot.

Regards,

Timothée Lecomte