RE: lo_ieee_init: unrecognized floating point format! on ARM platform

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: RE: lo_ieee_init: unrecognized floating point format! on ARM platform
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 14:47:39 -0400

On 26-Sep-2005, Simon Pickering wrote:

| To follow up on this point; I had a look in include/bits/endian.h of my
| cross-toolchain which says the following:
|
| /* FPA floating point units are always big-endian, irrespective of the
|    CPU endianness.  VFP floating point units use the same endianness
|    as the rest of the system.  */
|
| As I said in an earlier email, I'm using the FPA soft-float implementation
| which explains why it appears that my ARM processor is big-endian in the
| floating point tests, while the system is in fact being run in little-endian
| mode.
|
| This mixed endianness looks like it will cause problems in general so I'm
| looking at changing over to the softvfp method (the endianness of whose
| floating point numbers matches the system's endianness) now, however it may

Yes, when writing binary data, Octave currently determines whether
byte-swapping is needed based on the floating point format.  I'm not
sure that it ever occurred to me that a processor might have floating
point values oriented differently from ints.  We should probably fix
things so that the floating point orientation is handled separately
from integer data types.

| well be that the data returned by machar will still be different from that
| returned by the little-endian x86 - I'll post to the list once I've got the
| cross-toolchain up and running and have compiled Octave and have some new
| results to show.

OK.

jwe