Re: speed of octave interpreter

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: speed of octave interpreter
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 18:33:15 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005, David Bateman wrote:

Yes these benchmarks have been examined. Perhaps a good starting point in the discussion of these is

http://www.octave.org/octave-lists/archive/octave-maintainers.2004/msg00074.html

Octave did very well in that comparison with MATLAB. It was only on Toeplitz that MATLAB really crushed Octave (about a factor of 6). On Escoufier MATLAB was twice as fast as Octave, and on 'sort' Octave took about 70% longer. Otherwise, they were fairly similar and Octave was faster than MATLAB on a few (Programmation section, especially Fibonacci).

I'm very impressed with Octave's speed on these tests. I can see that you followed up with a huge amount of work on 'sort,' so 'sort' must now be as much improved.

Does anyone know how the current Octave stacks up against MATLAB? It seems like it must be doing very well.

Mike