Re: save a plot to PDF?

From: Shai Ayal
Subject: Re: save a plot to PDF?
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2005 06:58:06 +0200 (IST)

epstopdf functionality can be matched with the following gs command line:

gs dEPSCrop -q -dSAFER -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE sDEVICE=pdfwrite
-sOutputFile=nice.pdf nice.eps

I Agree with Dmitri - gnuplot's ps terminal is one of the best terminals
in the sense that it supports most (all?) features, while the PDF terminal
supports a much smaller set of features.

BTW, I use a similar method to get nice jpg and png output. from the eps
output, use the following:

gs -dEPSCrop -q -dSAFER -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -dTextAlphaBits=4 -r150
-sDEVICE=png16m -sOutputFile=nice.png nice.eps

for png, and the same with -sDEVICE=jpeg for jpeg files.

Again, you gain the full functionality of gnuplot's superb ps terminal,
with the ability to set resolution (the -r parameter) and text
antialiasing. Much better than imagemagic and not dependant on it.

Shai

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005, John W. Eaton wrote:

> On 29-Sep-2005, Jake wrote:
>
> | I've done a lot of googling and have looked at several Octave wikis,
> | but haven't found anything on saving a plot as a PDF.  I was surprised
> | to see several fairly obscure formats (well, obscure in the context of
> | Octave) supported, but nothing for PDF.
> |
> | Anyone know how to save an Octave plot as a PDF?
>
> Save as postscript and use epstopdf?
>
> Use
>
>   __gnuplot_set__ term pdf
>   __gnuplot_set__ output "foo.pdf"
>   replot
>
> I'm assuming you are using a recent version of Octave and have a
> version of gnuplot that has the pdf driver included.
>
> Maybe we should add a -dpdf option to print?
>
> jwe

Shai Ayal, Ph.D.
Head of Research
BioControl Medical (B.C.M.) Ltd.