Passing parameters to fsolve function - new syntax?

From: Aivo Jürgenson
Subject: Passing parameters to fsolve function - new syntax?
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 11:27:49 +0300 (EEST)

Hello,

I have a function f(x,a,b,c), which I would like solve for variable x, so that f(x,a,b,c)=0, where a,b,c are parameters, which are known at the time of solving.

However, current fsolve function in Octave only supports one-variable functions. I suppose there is a work-around to declare specific global variables and then giving values to those variables before calling the fsolve function, but this doesn't seem to be a clean way of organizing this.

Paul Kienzle, in May, 2005:

I have no interest in maintaining this function.  I am removing it from
the build system for now, and will purge it completely if nobody steps
forward to update it.

IIRC, the purpose of this function is to pass extra arguments to
fsolve, but we can do this now with the new syntax:

        @(x) f(x,a,b,c)

- Paul

Could somebody explain this new syntax? I would be happy to use this new and official way of passing extra arguments to fsolve, but I'm not been able to find any examples of doing it.

Aivo Jürgenson, address@hidden