Re: octave and 3-D shapes/meshes

From: Etienne Grossmann
Subject: Re: octave and 3-D shapes/meshes
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 01:42:24 -0400

  Hi Jeff,

maybe, in this case, vrml is apropriate: source forge has
vrml_faces, vrml_surf, vrml_browse and vmesh functions. I think the
1st will do what you want. If you have freewrl installed, you can use
vrml_browse to visualise your vrml object and take snapshots w the s
key.

  Hth,

  Etienne

Synopsis:

vrml_faces is the user-defined function from the file
/home/etienne/prog/octave/octave-forge/octave-forge/main/vrml/vrml_faces.m

s = vrml_faces(x,f,...) - VRML facet object (IndexedFaceSet node)

x : 3xP   : The 3D points
f : 3xQ   : The indexes of the points forming the faces. Indexes
            should have values in 1:P.

Returns a Shape -> IndexedFaceSet vrml node.

No check is done on anything

Options :

"col" , col  : 3   : Color,                      default = [0.3,0.4,0.9]
            or 3xP : Color of vertices
            or 3xQ : Color of facets   (use "colorPerVertex" below to
                                        disambiguate the case P==Q).

"emit", em   : 3   : Emissive color of the surface
             : 3XP : (same as color)
             : 3xQ :
             : 1   : Use color as emissive color too         default = 0

"tran", tran : 1x1 : Transparency,                           default = 0

"creaseAngle", a
             :  1  : vrml creaseAngle value. The browser may smoothe the
                     crease between facets whose angle is less than a.
                                                             default = 0
"tex", texfile
             : string : Name of file containing texture.   default : none

"imsz", sz   : 2   : Size of texture image
                                      default is determined by imginfo()

"tcoord", tcoord
             : 2x3Q : Coordinates of vertices in texture image. Each 2x3
                      block contains coords of one facet's corners. The
                      coordinates should be in [0,1], as in a VRML
                      TextureCoordinate node.
                                      default assumes faces are returned
                                      by extex()

"smooth"           : same as "creaseAngle",pi.
"convex"
"colorPerVertex", c: If 1, col specifies color of vertices. If 0,
                      col specifies color of facets.         Default = 1

"DEFcoord",n : string : DEF the coord VRML node with name n. Default = ''
"DEFcol",  n : string : DEF the color VRML node with name n. Default = ''

See also: vrml_surf(), vmesh(), test_vrml_faces()