superscript, subscript, Greek characters in plot labels?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: superscript, subscript, Greek characters in plot labels?
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 20:49:18 -0400

On 26-Oct-2005, Ron Crummett wrote:

| Is it possible to get nicely-formatted titles and labels for plots like
| in MATLAB?&nbsp; If I want a title to read "y = x<sup>2</sup>" I can type in
| "title('y = x^2')" and it will output it as described before, or if I
| want a Greek character, say <font face="Symbol">w<font
|  face="Times New Roman">, I can type "\omega" like in
LaTeX</font></font>.&nbsp;
| Is there some way to do this in Octave?&nbsp; If so, how?&nbsp; Thanks.<br>

Yes.  You can use gnuplot's epslatex (or pslatex) terminal (works best
if you are using the figures in a LaTeX document).  Or you can use the
enhanced option for the PostScript terminal.

For help, start gnuplot (at the shell prompt, outside of Octave) and
type

  help set term epslatex

or

  help set term postscript enhanced