Re: question about multiple plots

From: Johan Kullstam
Subject: Re: question about multiple plots
Date: 28 Dec 2005 07:30:12 -0500

"Steven Thijs" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>

> I'm running octave for windows.
>
> Is it possible to plot multiple figures?
>
> I try to use the command: figure (2)  for example,
>
> but this just returns 2, instead of opening a new figure.

I like to send all my plots to a postscript file (I use the same name
"/tmp/octplot.ps" in linux, but in windows you can use
"c:/temp/octplot.ps" or somesuch).  Then I use ghostview to look at
the plots.

This way I can plot many figures and not clutter up my
screen with a gazillion windows.  I can also print all figures or
selected ones from ghostview.  Also, it is easy to copy the figures to
another file and then view it to run side-by-side comparisons on the
screen.

In an octave script, I do

  iplotlps

  plot(...)

  closeplot
  purge_tmp_files

off to the side, run gv /tmp/octplot.ps.  Hope this helps.

This function initializes my plots

function fn = iplotlps(fn, t)
  ##IPLOTLPS
  ##
  ## Initialize PLOT for Landscape PostScript

  __gnuplot_raw__ "reset\n";    # reset gnuplot
  purge_tmp_files;              # clean up /tmp
  if nargin < 1,
    fn = "/tmp/octplot.ps";
  endif
  if nargin < 2,
    t = 1;
  endif
  if t
    [str,err,msg] = stat(fn);
    if err == 0,
      ##fprintf("unlinking %s\n", fn);
      unlink(fn);
    endif
  endif
  __gnuplot_set__ term post landscape enhanced color solid "Palatino-Roman" 14
  cmd = sprintf("__gnuplot_set__ output \"%s\"", fn);
  eval(cmd);
  __gnuplot_set__ data style lines
  __gnuplot_set__ grid
  ## globals