Re: SIFT image descriptor patch

From: Andy Adler
Subject: Re: SIFT image descriptor patch
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 10:53:49 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005, Stefan van der Walt wrote:

> Maybe someone who understands patent laws better can enlighten me, but
> why woud anyone do further research on an algorithm that has been
> patented?

Plenty of reasons. Most importantly you may want to
  - test the algorithm to see how well it works
  - test other algorithms against it
  - use parameters calculated this way to do other research

While there is a "tradition" of doing research on patented algorithms,
but there is no general "research only" exception to infringement.

Thus, it is _probably_ ok if you use their algorithm to test against
your research results if
   - you don't gain financially from it
   - you don't vicariously contribute to someone elses infringement
This is especially true since the author published his code on the
internet.

Of course, it is only _probably_ OK.

NB: I'm not a lawyer.
--