.m file locked under cygwin

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: .m file locked under cygwin
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 11:26:17 -0500

On 17-Jan-2006, Paul Probert wrote:

|   I'm running 2.1.72 under Cygwin, on win2k. Whenever I run a .m file,
| the file gets locked so that if I edit it I can't save the new version.
| Doing a "close all" in octave lets me save my file. Is there an easier
| fix for this?

When Octave executes a function defined in a .m file for the first
time, it should open the file, parse the contents and convert it to an
internal form, then close file file.  After that, it will use the
internal form to evaluate the instructions that make up the function
definition.  So the file should be closed by the time the function is
evaluated.  This behavior should be OS independent.

When Octave executes a script defined in a .m file, it should open the
file, then read and evaluates expressions one at a time until it
encounters the end of the file or an error.  In either case, the file
should be closed when Octave is done evaluating expressions from the
file.  Again, this behavior should be OS independent.

When I evaluate a function defined in a .m file on my system (running
Debian) then with Octave sill running, check for open files with lsof,
I don't see any .m files open.

Can you provide a complete example that demonstrates the problem?

jwe