Statically linking octave-2.1.72 in MacOS X

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Statically linking octave-2.1.72 in MacOS X
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 20:53:15 -0500

On  9-Feb-2006, Carlos Sánchez de La Lama wrote:

| After the I edit src/Makefile to comment out the line "XERBLA = ../
| libcruft/blas-xtra/xerbla.o"

You really do want to have Octave's xerbla.o.  If you don't, and you
hit an error in a call to a BLAS or LAPACK function, then I think the
default xerbla action is to do a Fortran STOP or an exit(1) on you and
dump you out of Octave immediately without any cleanup or chance to
save your work.  Octave's xerbla attempts a more civilized recovery.
If your system makes it impossible to override the definition of a
fucntion in the LAPACK/BLAS with your own, especially xerbla, then I
think it is probably a bug in your system's LAPACK/BLAS library.

jwe