Re: licensing question

From: Francesco Potorti`
Subject: Re: licensing question
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 12:16:59 +0100

>I would appreciate the following codes in matlab langage:
>bfgsmin,bisectionstep,celleval,finitedifference,lbfgsmin,newtonstep,numgradient,samin
>With my Thanks kindly. "
>
>I will advise him that this won't work directly, but these files are
>also copyrighted GPL. What are the restrictions to using modified
>versions compiled with MATLAB?

No restrictions.  Matlab is an interpreter.

>I believe it's ok for personal use, but not for any form of
>distribution. Is that correct?

If they use the Matlab interpreter plus any Matlab libraries that are
distributed with Matlab, then there is no problem in distributing them.
Probably Mathworks could not distribute them alongside with Matlab, but
that is another issue.

If they use other code in ways other than simply calling an external
function, that is, they use other code with which they have some sort of
intimate coupling, and that code has a license incompatible with the
GPL, then you cannot distribute them (giving them to a student is
distribution).

--
Francesco Potortì (ricercatore)        Voice: +39 050 315 3058 (op.2111)
ISTI - Area della ricerca CNR          Fax:   +39 050 313 8091