Re: possible bug

From: Bill Denney
Subject: Re: possible bug
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 22:36:33 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006, Gorazd Brumen wrote:

if i want a special Matlab feature I simply write
gg {1} = { permut permut(1) }
or with the whitespace between second permut and 1.

For matlab, this would parse as

{ <the variable permut> <the first element of the variable permut> }

if permut was defined as a vector or matrix previously in the current variable space; or,

{ <the function permut without any arguements> <the function permut with the first arguement as 1> }

if permut was not defined as a variable in the current variable space.

I personally dislike the fact that matlab doesn't return an error when you use a function name on the LHS of an assignment; it often makes programs significantly harder to debug. But, this is the way that matlab works, and we can't change it.

Bill

--
Rimmer: "Step up to Red Alert!"
Kryten: "Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb."