Re: Octave for Windows HOWTO

From: Agustin Barto
Subject: Re: Octave for Windows HOWTO
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 14:01:58 -0300

Quentin Spencer wrote:

One thing that often needlessly shows up in octave's dependency chain is tetex. This is because octave needs makeinfo for its help documentation. makeinfo is a relatively small program that's usually packaged as a part of a bigger texinfo package, which requires tetex, which often requires a big font package. This accounted for a lot of extra downloading the last time I tried a cygwin installation. I would check to make sure tetex is not installed, and if you wanted to go one step further, you could remove everything included in the texinfo package except makeinfo. I think breaking up packages like this could be controversial with people who understand and use cygwin, but I think the intended audience of your windows installer would not care.

I think I removed tetex from the package and everything seems to work just fine. After the installation the environment seems to be sane. I added a few packages after installation and it didn't complain.

Agustin