Re: Octave in Universities

From: Joshua Rigler
Subject: Re: Octave in Universities
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 11:30:40 -0600

Aside from using Octave for 90%+ of my own thesis work at the University of Colorado in Boulder, I have contributed to a project called CISM-DX. This is a collection of analysis and visualization tools based heavily on Octave and OpenDX that is being developed as part of the NSF-funded Center for Integraged Space-weather Modeling (CISM). I don't think it (CISM-DX) has been used extensively in a traditional class setting, but it has been used in CISM's annual "summer school", a crash course intro to applied space physics held each year at Boston University. I wouldn't be surprised if others more familiar with CISM-DX are lurking about this list that could tell you more if they just spoke up.

-EJR

Larry Blodgett wrote:
Recently spoke with a college prof who was using Matlab (edu version).
I mentioned he might consider using octave since it was open source.
He asked if there are many universities using octave. I said I would check with the list. I was under the impression that there were numerous universities using octave.

There may even be a list on the web of universities using octave.

If you know anything about this information let me know.

Larry Blodgett
address@hidden