Re: Octave interpreter slowness

From: Javier Fernández Baldomero
Subject: Re: Octave interpreter slowness
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 16:35:07 +0100

Keith Goodman wrote:

Search the Mathworks site for JIT.

Yes, I think they did the trick with the JIT. They previously recommended to use vector language to speed things up. They no longer advice it, since for many circumstances the JIT compiler will do a better job than vectorization. I tried both with a MATLAB version of the EP NAS benchmark and loops are faster than vector language. In Octave, vector language is of course faster than loops.

Now they advice to look for bottlenecks with the profiler. Apparently, the windows version of MATLAB can graphically show you where the JIT has problems to pre-compile your loops.

-javier