Re: Is there a way to run octave offline?

From: Muthiah Annamalai
Subject: Re: Is there a way to run octave offline?
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 14:01:54 -0800 (PST)

you could do any one of these:

1: output redirection

   $ octave my_cool_program.m > my_file_output.txt

2: use the 'fopen' & friends from Octave in your program
    my_cool_program.m and run it. Then just execution of this
    script itself will cause the program to create a new file.

   $ octave my_cool_program.m

3: use execve or friends and overlay your program with Octave
    process and pass your filename as arguments, and then save
    the result whatever you get on stdout into a file using fdup or something.
    Needs some excessive sys-programming ideas.

4: Simply write your program to include octave libraries in C++,
    and compile it. Write your scripts using liboctave classess & functions!

I think fastest solution is #1, or #2.

Muthu

Mohamed El Dawy <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,
 I am pretty new to octave. I was wondering, is there a way to run octave totally offline. I need to invoke it from within my program, and grab the results Octave will print to process in my program.

I see that running "octave filename", processes the commands in that file, but how can I get the output file? Does octave print to stdout?

Thank you very much for all the help.