Keeping Track of Files and Structures

From: Bill Denney
Subject: Keeping Track of Files and Structures
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 23:52:56 -0500 (EST)

So, I'm about to embark on the wide world of C++ and .oct files (I'll be learning C++ and how to use it with octave). My first project will be creating an interface to libSBML (an XML format, http://www.sbml.org/libsbml.html) as I've mentioned previously. I'm looking at the standard, and it looks like there are a few ways to make the interface.

The most obvious way seems to be to provide interfaces for the following tasks:

* Open the file
* Read the data you need
* Close the file

implemented as something like

fid = openSBML(filename);
getSBML(fid, <some sort of field specifier>);
closeSBML(fid);

* Open the file
* Optionally read some of the data out
* Modify the data
* Write the file
* Close the file

Which would add the commands

setSBML(fid, <some sort of field specifier>, <value>);
writeSBML(fid)

* Create a new SBML file
* Modify the data
* Write the file
* Close the file

This could be just a modification of the open procedure (if the file doesn't exist, create a new one perhaps).

Now, this is probably old hat to many people on the list here, so I'd like some advice about a) where can I go for examples of persistent files in octave C++ functions, and b) any suggestions about how to make this easier for myself?

I've seen http://octave-gtk.sourceforge.net/LanguageBindings/, and it looks good, but it doesn't quite cover what I'm looking for (I think it mentions the problem but doesn't give examples).

Thanks,

Bill

--
Rimmer: "Step up to Red Alert!"
Kryten: "Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb."