Re: compiling x86_64 with acml

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: compiling x86_64 with acml
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2006 23:16:51 -0500

Jonathan Schreiter wrote:

Hi all,
I have an AMD64 with Fedora Core 5 and ACML 3.1.0. I'm trying to build octave from source to use the
--enable-64 and --with-blas=acml.  I am having a
problem with gcc that is noted in the wiki here under
troubleshooting 2
<http://wiki.octave.org/wiki.pl?action=browse&diff=1&id=BuildFromSource>

Anybody know a good process on how to overcome this? I see thousands of warning / errors similar to the
type described when I try to do a make.  ./configure
works fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, I don't have 64-bit hardware so i can't test this, but if the ACML blas library is called libblas.so and is binary compatible with the reference blas, you should be able to just replace the system blas with the new one and octave would pick it up. The x86_64 version of octave in Fedora Extras is already compiled with --enable-64. Right now the blas and atlas packages provide blas libraries that are interchangeable. If only blas is installed, (/usr/lib64/libblas.so.3), octave will link to that at run time, but if atlas is installed (/usr/lib64/atlas/libblas.so.3) octave will link to that instead, even if the reference blas library is installed. You may be able to do something similar with ACML, (put it in /usr/lib64/acml/libblas.so.??, and put something in /etc/ld.so.conf.d/ like the octave-x86_64.conf or atlas.conf files) but I really don't know anything about whether it is actually binary compatible, and unfortunately I can't help with the compile problems.

-Quentin