new server for mailing list

From: John W. Eaton
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 08:56:55 -0400

server that I've been maintaining to one that is managed by the UW
College of Engineering.

The new system uses Mailman and so provides a web interface for
subscriptions and message archive here:

By using Mailmain, we can provide options for message digests,
delivery suspension, etc. (all the nice things that Mailmain can
do).  We are still requiring that postings to the list come from
subscribers.  It may be a few days before the message archive can be
updated with old postings.

I will be moving the list of subscribers over to the new server, so
you do not need to resubscribe.  When I move the list, I think you
should receive a message notifying you that you are subscribed to the
new list.

The current address for posting (address@hidden) will continue
to work.  However, due to limitations with running Mailman on a shared
server that supports many other lists, we could not use "help"
as the list name, so outgoing messages will use the address
address@hidden  I hope that Mailman will eventually be
fixed to allow us to use the address@hidden name.  But it is
more important to me to move the list to the new server, so I am
willing to accept the address@hidden name for now.

Unfortunately, instead of adding

to the header as we have been doing, Mailman will add

so if you are filtering messages, you will need to update your rules
to accomodate this change.  If you use procmail, I think a pattern
like

  * ^(X-Mailing-List|List-Id):.*help(|-octave).octave.org

in your procmailrc file will handle both forms with a single pattern.

I'll update the info on the www.octave.org/archive.html page soon to
point to the new Mailman pages.

jwe