How do I change working directory (under Windows)?

From: cjzarowski
Subject: How do I change working directory (under Windows)?
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 11:30:15 -0400

Yesterday I installed GNU Octave 2.1.73 from sourceforge.

I am running it under Windows XP.

It seems to run OK, but I cannot figure out how to
change the working directory. Presently, the system
insists on looking for my own script/function files
under

   C:\Program Files\GNU Octave 2.1.73\octave_files

Of course, it also insists on saving things to this
location.

Playing around with LOADPATH and DEFAULT_PATH
has proven to be ineffective. It is not even clear to me
from the online manual that these are relevant to my
problem.

What do I do ?

Thanks,
CJZ