Re: error caused by Octave-forge function __grcmd__.oct

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: error caused by Octave-forge function __grcmd__.oct
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 13:03:10 -0400

On 19-May-2006, Quentin Spencer wrote:

| By the way, if anyone else has experience building and running octave
| from a home directory to override a system installed one, this could be
| useful information for the FAQ or Wiki.

Here is all you should need to do

  * Configure Octave with --prefix=DIR, where DIR is in a directory
    tree that you can write to.  I prefer using something like

      configure --prefix=$HOME/octave/2.9.5

    so that it is easy to delete the entire installation (and nothing
    else) with one simple rm -rf $HOME/octave/2.9.5.  By using the
    version number in the directory name, you can easily install
    multiple copies of Octave on the same system without conflict.

  * Build and install Octave.

  * Put DIR/bin in your shell's search PATH ahead of any other
    directories that might contain Octave.  For example, given the
    above, you would use

      PATH=$HOME/octave/2.9.5/bin:$PATH

  * Configure Octave Forge.  If you set your PATH correctly to find
    your new installation of Octave, then the configure script for
    Octave Forge should find the appropriate mkoctfile script and that
    will pick up the corresponding header files and libraries.

  * Build and install Octave Forge.

  * Use the newly installed Octave.  To switch to a different version,
    change your shell's search PATH to look for some other version
    first.

jwe