Re: gnuplot alternatives on Windows

From: Francesco Potorti`
Subject: Re: gnuplot alternatives on Windows
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 16:09:49 +0200

>How about decimated data presentations.  That's real time.
>
>Or, max/min bars showing the decimated data so no peaks or
>valleys get lost.

Or, alternatively, try my newborn plotdecimate.m, available at
 <http://fly.isti.cnr.it/pub/software/octave/plotdecimate.m>.
It works on only one plot line at a time, so if you want to plot many
graph lines, you should use it on all lines one by one before plotting.

Suggestions for improving the API are gratefully accepted.

octave:4> help plotdecimate
plotdecimate is the user-defined function from the file
/home/pot/math/octavelib/graph/plotdecimate.m

 -- Function File:  plotdecimate (P)
 -- Function File:  plotdecimate (P, SO)
 -- Function File:  plotdecimate (P, SO, RES)
     Optimise plot data by removing redundant points and segments

     The first parameter P is a two-column matrix to be plotted as X and
     Y coordinates.   The second optional argument SO disables segment
     optimisation when set to FALSE (default is TRUE). The third
     optional argument RES is the size of the largest error on the plot:
     if it is a scalar, it is meant relative to the range of X and Y
     values (default 1e-3); if it is a 2x1 array, it contains the
     absolute errors for X and Y.  Returns a two-column matrix
     containing a subset of the rows of P. A line plot of P has the
     same appearance as a line plot of the output, with errors smaller
     than RES.  When creating point plots, set SO to FALSE.

--
Francesco Potortì (ricercatore)        Voice: +39 050 315 3058 (op.2111)
ISTI - Area della ricerca CNR          Fax:   +39 050 313 8091