Re: Genetic Algorithm?

From: Matt Taylor
Subject: Re: Genetic Algorithm?
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 09:05:51 -0600

>Is there any GA toolbox for Octave? I googled it and found an old post
>in 1999 about it, but I can not find it in the optimization directory.
>How is it compared to the toolbox in Matlab?
I donot know of a GA implementation for Octave.
However it is a doable to implement OCT files for any freely available
Genetic Algo' Library like (PGAL http://freshmeat.net/projects/pgal/,
or Open MetaHuristic http://ometah.berlios.de/index.php/Main_Page)

Chen,

For a quick start, the University of Sheffield, UK, has a ga-toolbox for MATLAB under the GPL. I think it should port to Octave quite easily. I used it for a small project under MATLAB, and it worked beautifully, with a couple of extensions. I haven't used any other ga implementations, so I can't offer comparisons.

You can find information here:
http://www.shef.ac.uk/acse/research/ecrg/getgat.html

For a complete solution, OCT/PGAL sounds like a good idea.

Matt