Problem with configure and libreadline on SuSE

From: Axel von Kamp
Subject: Problem with configure and libreadline on SuSE
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 14:25:00 +0200

Hi,

I want to compile octave on SuSE Linux, but get the following error when
running the configure script:

[...]
checking for rl_set_keyboard_input_timeout in -lreadline... no
configure: WARNING: I need GNU Readline 4.2 or later
configure: error: this is fatal unless you specify --disable-readline

libreadline is actually present, but in /lib as opposed to /usr/lib where it
usually (I guess) resides. How can I tell the configure script to also check
in /lib for libraries? I tried

./configure --enable-shared --enable-dl LDFLAGS=-L/lib

but that doesn't help. I could also set a symbolic link in /usr/lib to
libreadline, but would prefer not to do so. Is there any "clean" solution for
this problem?

Thanks
Axel