Re: Very slow mesh on MacOS X

From: Timothee Lecomte
Subject: Re: Very slow mesh on MacOS X
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 15:54:52 +0200 (MEST)

On Fri, 6 Oct 2006, Marcus Vinicius Eiffle Duarte wrote:

Joe: all matrices are 100 x 1000, what I assumed was reasonable. In the
past, when I was using matlab, I used to mesh matrices of size 200 x 2000 on
a P4 with 1 Gb RAM, and it always displayed in less than a minute. That's
why I assume that meshing 100 x 1000 matrices should be no big deal (at
least, in terms of hardware). Anyway, I am trying to mesh 10 x 100 matrices
in this current setup (PPC G5, 2 Gb RAM + octave-2.1.73), and I am getting
very slow plotting.

Dmitri: I tried your suggestion (only that the __gnuplot_raw__ lines are in
meshc.m, not mesh.m), but they did not help, while I used AquaTerm. setting
GNUTERM=x11 (and following your suggestion), the plots displayed almost
immediately. Thanks very much.

After this little experimentation, I tend to think it's some problem with
AquaTerm. If anyone can think of some way to tweak AquaTerm to yield faster
#d plots, I will be very thankful, as plots done using AquaTerm are much
prettier (and I can interactively export to PDF).

Thanks,

Marcus Vinicius

There is an obvious difference between Aquaterm and X11: the former draws with antialiasing, the latter doesn't. It is probably enough to explain an order of magnitude of rendering duration difference between the two terminals.

Best regards,

Timothée