Re: 2.1 branch vs. 2.9 branch

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: 2.1 branch vs. 2.9 branch
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2006 13:56:32 -0600

Ronald Crummett wrote:
Just a couple of general questions regarding the two dominant branches of Octave:

1. What are some of the main differences/advantages between the 2.1 branch and the 2.9 branch?

Here's a quick list:
1. Sparse matrix support
2. Lots of octave-forge functions incorporated into octave
3. Changes in the graphics interface
That's all I can think of now, maybe others can add to this.

2. I do recall reading, once, that many of the Octave-Forge functions have been incorporated into the 2.9 branch - but not all, right? So if I install a 2.9.x version I would still need to install Octave-Forge - but would doing so override some of the functions included in Octave?

For the most part octave-forge has kept up with the changes and removed the functions that are incorporated into octave 2.9.x. If you use the lastest octave and octave-forge, you shouldn't have anything overwritten (though that's not to say there aren't any cases that have been missed, so please report them if you find any).

Quentin