working directory basics

From: John Pruyn
Subject: working directory basics
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 11:49:43 -0800

Hi,

Sorry for the basic level of these questions, but somehow the online help files are not getting me going.  I am working in industry and it has been some time since I was sharp on computers.  I want to change the working directory to where I have some old M files.  It seems using cd or chdir that I can only get up to the install directory for Octave.  Am I limited to this?  Also are there restrictions on directory names and such?  I am working under Windows XP.

Thanks,

John Pruyn