Re: Installing Octave 2.9.9 on a Mac

From: Joe Koski
Subject: Re: Installing Octave 2.9.9 on a Mac
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 10:42:59 -0700

on 12/19/06 6:03 AM, Matthias Brennwald at address@hidden
wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> after the recent talk on the Octave help list about installing 2.9.9
> on Macs I thought I'd give it a try, too. Since it seems a less-than-
> optimal idea to combine the HPC binary with the HMUG version of
> Octave forge I tried the following:
>

> 1. Install the HMUG version of Octave 2.9.9.
> I downloaded the archive from http://www.hmug.org/pub/MacOS_X/BSD/
> Applications/Math/octave/octave-2.9.9-2-osx4-ppc.tar.gz and tried to
> install it according to the instructions at http://www.hmug.org/pub/
> MacOS_X/BSD/Applications/Math/octave/README.octave-2.9.9-2.osx4-
> ppc.html . That failed miserably:
>
> Pizza:~/Desktop mbrennwa$ mv octave-2.9.9 /tmp
> Pizza:~/Desktop mbrennwa$ sudo make install
> Password:
> Sorry, try again.
> Password:
> make: *** No rule to make target `install'.  Stop.
>

> 2. Compiling from sources.
> I downloaded the sources from ftp://ftp.octave.org/pub/octave/
> bleeding-edge/octave-2.9.9.tar.gz and tried to install it according
> to the instructions in INSTALL:
>
> Pizza:~/Desktop/octave-2.9.9 mbrennwa$ ./configure
> ....lots of stuff here....
> checking for rl_set_keyboard_input_timeout in -lreadline... no
> configure: WARNING: I need GNU Readline 4.2 or later
> configure: error: this is fatal unless you specify --disable-readline
>
> I have readline installed from Fink.
>

> Can someone help me sort this out?
>
> Also, what needs to happen to make Octave 2.9 appear on Fink? Fink is
> just way more convenient than the above...
>

> Matthias

Matthias,

I solved the readline problem by installing readline-5.1 from the gnu
website. It builds "out of the box" and installs in /usr/local/lib. I
temporarily renamed the Apple libreadline and the .dylib versions to force
the octave build to use the static libreadline.a. As an alternative, you
could probably place a symbolic link to the libreadline.a located in /sw
into /usr/local/lib, and make sure /usr/local is on your path for the build.

If you want sparse matrix support, the next task is to build the SuiteSparse
libraries ( http://www.cise.ufl.edu/research/sparse/SuiteSparse/ ), which
requires very careful editing of the UFconfig.mk file, and a "manual"
installation of over a half dozen libraries, and their associated headers.

This is not a trivial task, but once done, the build of octave-forge is
relatively straight forward.

Any reports of when the new package system for octave-forge will be
available? I know there were some untar.m issues. Once that is available,
the HPC octave-2.9.9 should be able to fetch octave-forge files on an "as
needed" basis. If someone needs a Mac guinea pig to test new octave-forge
package system, I'm available.

Joe