legend: how??

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: legend: how??
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 13:11:19 -0500

On  9-Feb-2007, baptiste Auguié wrote:

| Dear all,
|
| I'm running octave version 2.9.9, gnuplot Version 4.2 patchlevel rc2,
| aquaterm enhanced terminal, on a Mac. The only legend I can get on my
| plots is using,
|
| plot(x,y,';legend goes here;')
|
| legend('   ') returns a very weird error,
|
| > pl
| > '/var/tmp/oct-GJurbD'
| > (
| > $
| > 1
| > )
| > :(
| > $
| > 2
| > )
| > line 1
| > error: split: both s and t must be strings
| > error: evaluating if command near line 53, column 5
| > error: evaluating if command near line 48, column 3
| > error: called from `split' in file `/usr/local/share/octave/2.9.9/m/
| > strings/split.m'
| > error: called from `legend' in file `/usr/local/share/octave/2.9.9/
| > site/m/octave-forge/plot/legend.m'
|
| This looks like a bug, is there a known workaround, even some raw
| gnuplot trick to use?

The legend function in Octave Forge uses a horrible kluge to insert
information in the plot key.  I'm not sure whether it is possible for
it to work reliably.  Octave 2.9.10 will have a completely different
implementation of the Matlab-style plotting functions, including a nwe
legend function which I think will work better.  If you'd like to help
test the new graphics implementation before we make the 2.9.10
snapshot, please try the CVS version of Octave.  If you do try the CVS
version, be aware that you are likely to find some bugs.  But I
suppose you understand that, because you are already using a version
of Octave that is labeled as a development version, right?

jwe