new "warning" behavior

From: Joshua Rigler
Subject: new "warning" behavior
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 15:22:42 -0600

I tried using nabble, but found no detailed discussions beyond "warning's behavior has changed in 2.9.x". So, will someone tell me where I can find the code that implements warning as a built-in function in 2.9.9? Or if you're feeling really generous, you might explain the basic logic of the algorithm.

My problem is that I would like to turn off all warnings temporarily, then return to the initial warning state, which by default has several identifiers turned 'off', but the 'all' identifier turned 'on' (btw, is there a set of precedence rules invoked here or what? My first thought is that if 'all' is 'on', then everything else should be 'off').

Anyway, I have tried the following:

  ws=warning;
  warning('off');
  <do stuff>
  warning(ws) ...or... warning(ws.state, ws.identifier)

Both forms just result in the identifier 'all' being turned on, which is clearly not what the state was to begin with. I suppose I could loop over each element of ws, but this seems rather ugly. Even if this is a feature that has been fixed/improved in CVS, I'd appreciate a pointer to the source code, for future reference.

Thanks,

EJR