Re: update packages on octave-forge

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: update packages on octave-forge
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 09:58:49 +0200

Paul Kienzle wrote:

> On May 31, 2007, at 9:47 AM, David Bateman wrote:
>
>> By update I presume you mean placing a new package for download in
>> the sourceforge file release system. This is not that easy as it
>> stands as
>> 3) The bundle of packages must also include the updated package and
>> must also for the same reasons as above have a new version number
>>

> Should this be true?
>
> In other packaging systems (e.g., Debian), the stable release is not
> updated every time a package is updated.  This is as it should be
> because the packages in the stable release were tested as working
> together.  If an interface changes in one package and another package
> depends on the old interface then they will no longer work together.
>
> If you tag the bundle with a release date and keep version numbers
> separate on every package (along with their release dates) I think
> people will accept that the bundle does not match the current snapshot.
>
> One usage that may be problematic is a user who downloads several
> packages then decides they want the whole bundle.  Are they warned
> that they are installing is older than the one they already have
> installed?
>
>     - Paul

What would be good is if there was a way to have a generic name on the
website resolve to the latest package tar-ball in the sourceforge FRS.
It that way the website updates could be isolated from the FRS updates,
and the package owner could do the uploads themselves. Any ideas how to
do this?

D.

[x] General Business Information
[ ] Motorola Internal Use Only