[slightly OT]: Octave featured in Free Software magazine

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: [slightly OT]: Octave featured in Free Software magazine
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 16:11:33 -0400

On  5-Jun-2007, Jordi Gutierrez Hermoso wrote:

| This isn't a question about help, but it's nice to see that Octave got
| mentioned in Free Software Magazine and was quite favourably compared
| as "an almost perfect clone of MATLAB."

>From TFA:

  Being such a perfect MATLAB clone it shares all of MATLAB?s advantages
  and all its disadvantages like its speed. The only exception being its
  price.

And that's a statement in "Free Software Magazine"?  Huh?  At least
there is a link on the front page that points to an attempt at an
explanation of free software that includes the lines:

  What is free software?

  Wherever you encounter free software, you?ll find the term free is
  being used in relation to freedom and not cost. You may also
  encounter the phrase ?Free as in speech, not as in beer? which
  reinforces this idea. Whilst reading this article I suggest you
  forget about cost altogether as it might be a distraction.

And even here, there seems to be some confusion about "cost"
vs. "price".

Perl wins?  Really?  Ugh.

jwe