Re: Fwd: Octave on Mac

From: Thomas Treichl
Subject: Re: Fwd: Octave on Mac
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 14:05:25 +0200

> Hi Thomas,
>
> I installed using the dmg of the ppc version from the link you had given
> in
> your earlier mail. For gnuplot, I installed it from
> http://www.tucows.com/get/203840_81894
>
> Both octave executable and gnuplot are sitting in the Applications
> directory. I tried addpath('/Applications/');  to the path. But still it
> is
> not working.
>
> -Ram

Ok, so I can see that the link you've posted directs to something of gnuplot
3.7xxx. Octave-2.9.12 in general works with gnuplot 4.2, this could be one
problem.

Another thing is that octave.app has been prepared to work like you say, but
just putting gnuplot into /Applications - don't know if this is all that has to
be done for that gnuplot package. Try this from your Terminal.app

  bash$ which gnuplot

if it then says something like 'gnuplot not found' then you need to set up that
package somehow different. *Maybe* something like an 'export PATH=$PATH:/<path
to your gnuplot binary>' will help?!

Another much better solution would be that you get another gnuplot binary
release (eg. hpc.sourceforge.net, or HMUG). At the moment I'm trying to build a
last Mac app ie. gnuplot.app 4.2 but you shouldn't wait for it because I'm at
the very beginning and this may take some weeks...

We are also currently working to set up Michael's jhandles package from
octave-forge, if this works fine then I think that I don't want to spend time
anymore to build a gnuplot.app...

  Thomas