Re: Integrating scattered data

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Integrating scattered data
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 10:46:42 -0500

On 21/08/07, kensmith <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Monday 20 August 2007 09:27, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
> > I have a surface in some irregular domain of R^2 that I'm sampling at
> > scattered, unstructured points. I'd like to find the volume under
> > this surface.
>
> Do you know anything about how the surface gets from one place to the
> next?

What do you mean? No, I don't think I know that. They are scattered
points without any structure.

> Also, do you know what happens off the edges?

I don't understand your question, but no, I don't think I have any
special information about the surface around the edges.

> Things like Simpsons rule assume straight lines in how the curve goes
> from point to point.  In effect, they are interpolating the points
> between using that rule.

I have heard of things like spline surfaces using tensor products or
something like that. And Simpson's rule assumes parabolas between
points, not straight lines. :-)

- Jordi G. H.