Re: Octave-Forge: Segmentation Fault

From: Thomas Treichl
Subject: Re: Octave-Forge: Segmentation Fault
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 21:35:44 +0100

Ben Abbott schrieb:
Thomas,

There's a thread on sourceforge here http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1825780&group_id=17203&atid=414256 I've never encountered a seg-fault using a ppc. Further, I only encounter a seg-fault when I install SuiteSparse *without* libcsparse.a, build Octave-2.9.17, and try to install Octave-Forge-20071014. When I include libcsparse.a in the SuiteSparse install, or remove SuiteSparse entirely, I have no problem ... I've duplicated that effort twice.

Sounds to me being an optimization problem or something like that when building SuiteSparse?! I'm compiling SuiteSparse 3.0.0 since I compile Octave 2.9.12 and use libcsparse.a before I compile Octave. I also apply the patch SuiteSparse-3.0.0.diff before building SuiteSparse without metis (don't know if you have a current SVN of Octave-forge checked out, here is the link)

http://octave.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/octave/trunk/octave-forge/admin/MacOSX/solvedeps

Modify Line 77 (+F77 = f2c) of that *.diff file into your needs for gfortran and then build another SuiteSparse,

  bash~:$ export CC=gcc
bash~:$ export CFLAGS="-fno-common -no-cpp-precomp -fexceptions -D_POSIX_C_SOURCE -D__NOEXTENSIONS__ -DNPARTITION"
  bash~:$ make

try to use that created libcsparse.a instead... I don't know which option actually fails for you but you can add one flag by another in F77FLAGS of ./SuiteSparse/UFconfig/UFconfig.mk or in CFLAGS above (eg. -O3 -mieee-fp ...) - doesn't Fink already have a SuiteSparse package ready?

I'm now only running 2.9.17 compiled with g95 and SuiteSparse (with libcsparse.a). This appears to work for me. However, I'm convinced all I've done is to avoid the feature that leads to the seg-fault. I don't see any evidence that I've fixed it.

There has been some indication that using gfortran is more likley to result in a seg-fault than g95. However, i have not tried to confirm.

Sorry, I can't help here for MacOSX, I am using f2c that seems to be the one and only compatible Fortran converter to XCode's original version-independent gcc and I don't have any g95 or gfortran port installed (I must keep my Mac clean because you know why ;o)

I would have answered to the thread you mentioned above but I had no knowledge that I could share there...

  Thomas

In any event, since I'd prefer not to revert to 2.9.14, perhaps Isaiah is willing to try what you've advised? (a good idea I think) ... if not I'll take a look after I've had a nap and recovered
from eating to much today ;-)

Ben