Re: Octave from Java

From: Andrea Grassi
Subject: Re: Octave from Java
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 13:37:14 -0800 (PST)

Kim Hansen-5 wrote:

> I have not researched any other way to communicate with octave, as we
> haven't had any need for it.
>
> Our application uses some seconds for feeding data into octave, then
> calls some octave scripts that works on the data for 10 minutes to an
> hour, and then we read the result back within seconds.

Hello Kim,
I'm a student who's making a java program that interface itselfs with octave
as part of a thesis. I successful made my own java code to call octave and
execute commands. But I am facing a problem and I'd like to know if you have
successfully solved this problem (if not I'll make a general question in a
separate post :) ) : If I pass a wrong command to octave, it crash
(apparently).
Let me use your lib as an example (it seems it is affected, but I don't know
if we can avoid it)
if I write :
        Octave o = new Octave();
        o.execute("A=5");
        o.execute("disp(z)");
        o.execute("A=7");
After the execution of "disp(z)" it will crash, making a "Broken pipe"
exception right in the next command.
Do you also have this problem? If you faced it, how did you solve it?

Thank you.
Andrea Grassi