mex files for different architectures

From: Moritz Borgmann
Subject: mex files for different architectures
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 20:04:17 +0100

We are in the situation, probably not too exotic, where we run the same MATLAB/Octave code on different architectures such as Solaris and x86. What is the recommended practice to deal with mex files? Contrary to MATLAB, Octave does not have architecture-dependent mex suffixes. Do people make subdirectories for each architecture in directories containing the .c files, and then add one of those subdirectories to the Octave path? Before I cook up something along those lines, I'd like to hear how other users do it and if there's a "best practice" solution already.

The only information I could find was a post by Paul Kienzle in 2006:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.octave.maintainers/3051

Octave deals with this by putting oct-files for different platforms
in different directories.  The same mechanism will work for mex.

Thanks,

Moritz