Re: Linux - installing octave 3.0.0 ./configure hung up

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Linux - installing octave 3.0.0 ./configure hung up
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 11:08:34 -0600

On 27/03/2008, alan00463 <address@hidden> wrote:
> I've successfully used octave 2.1.73 on my Debian-based PC
[snip]
>  configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables

I'm not sure how Mepis works, and it's usually unadvisable to use the
same Debian packages for apt-based distributions, but try installing
the build-essential package.

In fact, try doing "apt-get build-dep octave3.0". That might get you
all the other packages you'll need for building Octave 3.0. Then
again, if you're able to do that, you might as well install the
testing/unstable octave3.0 Debian package instead of compiling it.

HTH,
- Jordi G. H.