Re: Octave workshop for Octave 3.0.0 on windows Xp

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: Octave workshop for Octave 3.0.0 on windows Xp
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 22:23:53 +0200

man, 31 03 2008 kl. 13:27 -0400, skrev John W. Eaton:
> On 31-Mar-2008, Søren Hauberg wrote:
>
> | Personally, I'm not smart enough for emacs,
>
> Based on your postings to the list, you generally seem to be fairly
> smart, so I don't really understand this.  Emacs is really not that
> difficult to learn to use.  I recommend that you try starting Emacs
> and typing Ctrl-h t to run the tutorial.  Although it may require some
> effort to learn, I think you will be rewarded many times over in the
> long run.

It seems to me that The-Best-Editor-in-the-World (TM) would only be able
to make me type faster (word-completion, auto-indenting, etc.). What I
need is a piece of software that makes me _think_ faster, because that's
the real bottleneck. I spend most of my time developing algorithms
(pen-and-paper work + trial-and-error stuff at the Octave prompt) -- the
actual implementations usually only takes a fraction of my time. So, I
never bothered learning Emacs, because I'm not that sure it's the right
part of routine to improve.

Wow, that really got off-topic fast :-)

Søren