Re: Octave-forge and 'pkg install' question

From: E. Joshua Rigler
Subject: Re: Octave-forge and 'pkg install' question
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 10:57:22 -0600

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 1:18 AM, Tatsuro MATSUOKA <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello
>

>  --- "E. Joshua Rigler" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>  > ...  Can anyone tell me why my *.oct files get
>  > placed in my personal directory (i.e., ~/octave), even though the *.m
>  > scripts get placed in the system directory (i.e.,
>  > ~/local/share/octave/packages), when I install using 'pkg install
>  > -global plot-1.0.4.tar.gz'?  Maybe I misunderstand the '-global'
>  > option.
>

>  Please read:
>
>  octave>help path
>
>  See also: addpath, rmpath, genpath, pathdef, savepath, pathsep.
>
>  After that, please execute
>
>  octave>path
>
>  Octave loads *.m and *.oct files from the load path and present working
> directry.
>

>  > Maybe I misunderstand the '-global'
>  > option.
>
>          `-local'
>                A local installation is forced, even if the user has
>                system privileges.
>
>          `-global'
>                A global installation is forced, even if the user
>                doesn't normally have system privileges
>
>  Regards
>
>  Tatsuro

I'm sorry if my follow-up question was not clearly stated, but I'm
fairly certain the answer has nothing to do with setting Octave's
search path(s), nor was my statement about not understanding the
'-global' option an indication that I had not read the appropriate
pkg.m help output (rather it indicated that the pkg.m help output does
not provide a very thorough description of what happens when the
'-global' option is invoked).

What I wanted was to understand better why, when I attempted to
install an Octave-forge package like plot-1.0.4.tar.gz using the pkg.m
script with the '-global' option, the *.m files were placed in a
system (i.e., 'global') directory as expected, but the *.oct files
were placed in my personal (i.e., 'local') octave directory.  I think
I know the answer now:

* By default, when I start Octave, both my 'Installation prefix' and
my 'Architecture dependent prefix' (determined by typing 'pkg prefix'
at the Octave prompt) are set to ~/octave, which is my personal, or
'local' package directory;
* If I install a package using the '-global' option, the 'Installation
prefix' is changed to PREFIX/share/octave/packages, but the
'Architecture dependent prefix' continues to point to my personal
package directory;
* The installation then proceeds using these prefix directories as
targets for the architecture independent and dependent files;

I can think of one or two reasons why this might all be expected
behavior, but I suspect it is an unintentional feature in pkg.m that
both architecture independent and dependent files are not placed in
the same system directory when the '-global' option is used.  Can
anyone confirm or deny this?

-EJR